User Source is one of the key criteria for measuring ROI on marketing efforts. Source analysis is being used for traffic quality measurement and engagements and is essential for knowing the best traffic sources, mediums, or campaigns.
Source analysis can be used to:
- Compare any user activity/event based on the Source/Campaign/Medium
- Split Funnels or Cohorts by the Source/Campaign/Medium
- Analyze Sessions/App Opens from a specific source
- Compare Campaign Types for MoEngage Campaigns
- Analyze Conversion and Revenue by Source
Source analysis is deeply coupled with Session analysis. When the Source properties change, the Source changes and MoEngage considers it to be a new Session.
All of the Source properties are attached to every event/user activity of the Session and also with the Session event as well.
There are 2 different types of Source properties – UTM Parameters and User-Defined Parameters.
UTM parameters are used to analyze different traffic sources. MoEngage SDK, by default, reads the UTM parameters from the URL for the web and from the deep link for mobile apps.
MoEngage supports these UTM parameters:
- utm_source: Determines the website/app/link that sent the traffic (e.g. YouTube, Instagram, Google)
- utm_medium: Determines the type of channel used (e.g. push, banner, email)
- utm_campaign: Determines the name of the campaign (e.g. Newyear, Bigbillionday)
- utm_id: Determines the id of the campaign (e.g. NY1234, BBD456)
- utm_term: Determines search terms for paid traffic (e.g. Mobile+sale)
- utm_content: Determines the content used (e.g. banner, video, product image)
For example, in the given URL, 'utm_source' and 'utm_medium' are source properties and "MoEngage" and "Email" are the corresponding values.
Many marketers use custom source parameters that are specific to their business. MoEngage supports custom source parameters as well. Other than the UTM Parameters, you can also define 5 custom parameters for your Apps/Websites. MoEngage SDKs will include the new parameters the in URL as source properties and append them for all events.
Only in case of push notifications, if there is no deep link or deep-link do not have source information, system (SDKs) will look for source properties in the key-value pair.
Moengage supports the last-click attribution model. All the user activity/event will be attributed to the last click done by the user. The attribution window here is the session duration.
For example, if the user came from a Google Ads, stayed for a session of 5 minutes and performed 15 events. All of these events will have the source as Google Ads. For the next session, if the user came through organically, all the events in that session will not have any source information.
For Source & Session analysis, app should have android SDK on or above version 9.7.01 and iOS SDK should be on or above version 5.2.5.
To enable Source Analysis for your account, please connect with your CSM or write to us at email@example.com