Segmentation is the process of creating a subset/group of users having similar properties/behavior from the total user base. Segments can be based on similar user attributes, events, event attributes, or a combination of all.
MoEngage Segmentation allows you to build groups of users who share common attributes (for ex. location) or have the same behavior pattern (for ex. users who read an article). A user segment is built using a combination of filters based on Events & Attributes.]
With the use of Segmentation in MoEngage, one can analyze behavioral traits or send personalized campaigns effectively.
Before you start with segmentation, do ensure that MoEngage SDK integration and Event tracking is completed for your app/website. More details on integration in our documentation.
These are the key concept that one should know before doing the segmentation -
- User attributes and User activity (Events and Event attributes) are the building block of segmentation.
- Filters are used to filter the specific user attribute and events.
- Joins to combine multiple segment blocks.
User attributes are properties of a user in the MoEngage system, such as email, name, last location, etc. The value of user attributes gets updated almost in real-time and the latest values are available for calculation.
Examples of segments based on user attributes can be:
- Users whose Last known country is ‘India’
- Users who have Unsubscribed from email
- Users who have Reachability Push iOS as true
User attributes have the latest value and do not have historical data on the attribute.
Some of these user attributes are generated by MoEngage and most of these user attributes are passed by the client systems to MoEngage. Know more about MoEngage-generated user attributes.
Event & Event Attributes
Events are activities done by users such as App Open, Add to Cart, Product Purchase, Loan availed, etc. The properties related to these events are called event attributes. These events can be performed multiple times.
The examples for event attribute categories are App version, platform name, product category, product price, etc.
Examples of segments based on event attributes can be:
- Users who have placed order at least 3 times in the last 90 days with the category “sportswear”
- Here, the event is placed order and the event attribute can be the size, color of the sportswear.
- Users who have viewed page at least 5 times in the last 30 days, with the category “laptop”
- Here, the event is viewed page and the event attribute can be screen size, price, etc of the laptop.
- Users who have added to cart at least 1 times in the last 30 days, with the category “mobiles”
- Here, the event is added to cart and the event attribute can be the model, storage, etc of the mobile phone.
Some of these events are generated by MoEngage and most of these events are passed by the client systems to MoEngage. Know more about MoEngage-generated events & event attributes.
Filters are the logical conditions by which specific user attribute values or event attribute values are filtered. E.g. Filters allow you to select the users from the city London, or select users who have purchased shirts in the last 30 days.
All segments or segment blocks are joined using AND, OR, and Exclude conditions.
OR - Combining the two Segment blocks.
AND - Take the intersection of the two Segment blocks.
Exclude - Remove the intersection of the two Segment blocks from one block