A segment is a group of users defined by specific properties or values. The segments can be used to send campaigns or to analyze specific information or behavioral traits of users.
MoEngage dashboard enables growth teams to create multiple kinds of segments. These segments can be divided into 2 primary categories.
- Static Segment - Users in these segments are fixed.
- Dynamic Segment – Users in these segments are dynamically calculated based on the rules or the criteria provided.
This document explains Dynamic Segments in detail and the working of the same. Learn more in detail about the Static Segment in this article.
This helps the growth team the segment definitions such as - Users who have opened the app in the last 30 days, or Users who's Location is NewYork AND has executed Purchase at least 3 times in the last 30 days. Hence whenever this segment executes, all the users who fulfill the criteria become the part of the segment.
After creating a user segment, follow it up with creating a campaign to target these users. Learn more about creating campaigns in this article.
Before you start with segmentation, do ensure that MoEngage SDK integration and Event tracking is completed for your app/website. More details on integration in our documentation.
On MoEngage dashboard growth teams can create rules and criteria to define a user segment. The rules and criteria can be used on user attributes/properties, events & event properties, and a combination of the two.
User properties are attributes of the user in the MoEngage system such as email, name, last location, etc. The value of user properties gets updated almost real-time and the latest values are available for calculation.
Events are activities done by users such as App Open, Product Purchase, etc. These events also have event attributes such as app version, platform name, product category, product price, etc. Event attributes are tracked with events and are specific to the selected event.
Creating Dynamic Segments
To create a Dynamic Segment visit Create Segments page. Click on Segment on the sidebar and then click on Create Segments. This lands on the Create Segments page.
Use User Properties
Select the User Properties section then -
- Select desired user property and filter conditions.
- Provide the filter value/s to create a rule.
The description for the selected user property appears in the right section of the dropdown.
Use Event and Event Properties
Select User Behavior section then -
- Select the execution condition and the desired user activity (event)
- Provide event frequency and time duration for the event execution
- Add Event attribute with a filter condition
- Provide the filter value/s to create a rule.
The description for the selected event appears in the right section of the dropdown.
MoEngage generates a few default user properties, events, and event attributes. A list of all derived events and attributes can be found in this article.
Use Custom Segment
Select the Custom Segment section then select the desired custom segment to create a rule.
Custom Segments are explained in detail in this article.
The description for the selected custom segment appears below custom segment selection dropdown.
Multiple User Property rules, User activity rules, and Custom Segment rules can be combined using AND or OR filters to create a complex user segment. Use Add Filter button to add a section.
A particular user segment can also be excluded from the selected user segment, to use this click on Exclude user checkbox.
To see the user count for the created segment and other detail explained in the Recent queries section below.
In create these are 2 options available -
1. Create Custom Segment - To save the created Segment as a Custom Segment provide the segment name and click on Create cutton.
2. Create Campaign - To create a campaign using the the created Segment. Select channel type and campaign type, clicking on Create Campaign will redirect to the respective campaign page with the created segment.
The recent query section lists all the user segment execution on the MoEngage dashboard irrespective of which page they run at. Segments that get executed in the Create Segment page and all campaigns' (email, push, SMS, etc.) target audience count is also get listed here.
Segment execution at the respective campaign page adds extra filters (which are not present in the segment rules) to display the reachability for the specific channel. Hence the same segment executed in Create Segment page and campaign page may result in different numbers as the campaign page segment shows the reachable users and Create Segment page shows the segmented users.
Reachable user counts is only available for queries which ran on the create segment page. Click on refresh icon to rerun any query.
If any query take more time to execute, click on the email icon and provide the email address to get notified when the query execution is completed.
Click on any query row to expand it and view the details about the query -
- On expanding a query, it provide reachable user count for push notifications. Reachable user count is also available for android, iOS and web platforms for push.
Reachability will only be available for queries which are fired from the segmentation page. Queries which are fired from campaign page will not have reachability count as of now.
- It will also display the sample user's initials. Click on these bubbles to open the user profile.
- This query can be edited using Edit query option. Similarly campaign and custom segments can be created using Create campaign & Create custom segment.
- Click on Export users to export desired User Attributes of the Segment. More details in this article.
- Click on the show more to see list of all sample users. Sample users count is limited to 50 at this point.
For a quick user view user can be searched using ID, Email, Mobile No. or MoEngage ID. Just enter the text in the user search box and hit enter. MoEngage system will search for the provided text in all the 4 mentioned fields and show the results.
The search result show the 50 users sorted on the last active time. This list of users can be sorted on any of the columns. Click on anywhere on the row to open respective user's User Profile.