WhatsApp is currently a Beta Feature. If you wish to try out the feature, reach out to email@example.com.
MoEngage currently supports sending via WhatsApp Service Providers or WhatsApp Business Solution Provider (BSP). We support two BSPs as of now:
The following are important prerequisites,
Create an account with the supported BSPs
To send WhatsApp messages via MoEngage, you need to have an account with BSP. If you do not have an existing BSP account, reach out to your MoEngage account manager or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get WhatsApp Business Account (WABA) Approved and get a business phone number
Get support from your BSP to get the WhatsApp Business Account (WABA) approved.
WhatsApp Business Account (WABA) lets businesses communicate directly with their customers via APIs (used by BSPs & MoEngage). The first step is to create a business account and submit it to Facebook for approval. For more information, refer to Getting Started.
All WhatsApp Business Platform accounts rely on a valid phone number. To send messages, you need to register the phone number you want to use. For more information about how to pick a phone number and add it to your WhatsApp Business Account (WABA), refer to Phone Number.
Your business must use a valid phone number that meets the following criteria:
- Has a country and area code, such as landline and cell numbers
- Owned by you
- Able to receive voice calls or SMS
- Not a shortcode
Get your WhatsApp Templates approved or whitelisted
Get support from your BSP to get the templates approved or whitelisted.
WhatsApp message templates allow businesses to use pre-created and pre-approved templates to send structured messages to customers who have opted in to receive notifications. Messages can include appointment reminders, shipping information, issue resolution, or payment updates. Here is a list of categories supported by WhatsApp. Read more here.
Before use, Businesses need to submit templates to WhatsApp directly or via WhatsApp Service Provider or BSP (For example, Infobip, Gupshup, Twilio, Yellow.ai, and so on) for review. Message templates are reviewed by WhatsApp to ensure they do not violate WhatsApp policies. You can submit templates in two ways:
- Create message templates in the WhatsApp Manager, which is part of your WhatsApp Account in the Facebook Business Manager. Once approved, your business will have its own namespace where the message templates live.
- Create and submit message templates on the dashboard of WhatsApp Service Provider/BSP for approval. Reach out to your WhatsApp Service Provider if you need more information or help.
Update User Opt-in Data with MoEngage and BSP
WhatsApp messages are recommended to be sent only to users who have Opted-in to receive WhatsApp messages from your brand. You would need to collect user opt-in preference data and update this data inside MoEngage.
MoEngage provides a standard attribute called WhatsApp Subscription Status (moe_wa_subscription)where you can update your user's opt-in preferences
You can do it either via :
- User Import/Update feature that MoEngage provides under Segment->Import Users on MoEngage Dashboard. Attribute that needs to be updated is WhatsApp Subscription Status Read more
- User Update APIs to send it directly from your Apps or Backend systems to MoEngage. Attribute you should update via API is moe_wa_subscription See API documentation
- Get an account with BSP
- Get your WABA and WhatsApp Business Phone Number
- Get your templates approved/whitelisted
- Get user's opt-in preferences updates inside MoEngage and BSP
After you have completed the final checklist, configure WhatsApp in MoEngage.