Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) is a quick and easy way to send, receive, and/or relay outgoing emails from one email server to another. MoEngage allows you to configure any SMTP service of your choosing to send emails from its system. In case you do not have an existing SMTP service, we can configure one for you via SendGrid (Please contact MoEngage Sales for pricing).
Configure one of the following SMTP services by going into Settings -> Channel -> Email -> Connector Config in MoEngage Dashboard. You must fill out 3 sections: SMTP Settings, Unsubscribe Settings, and Bounce & Complaint Settings.
Note: You can add upto 10 connectors in Email Connector Config. Click '+' to add a new connector.
Refer to the following articles for detailed steps on configuring each Email service provider -
Configure Custom Connector
MoEngage can integrate with any SMTP connector for sending email campaigns. You would need to configure the connector, set up the unsubscribe mechanism, and optionally track bounces & complaints if your SMTP connector can post these details in the required format (as described later in the article)
Configure Custom SMTP Settings
- SMTP Host Name: IP Address or server name of the SMTP connector service you are using
- SMTP Port: This is the SMTP port number of the connector service to which the connection would be established. To avoid the rate limits set by some hosting companies, we recommend using port 587 instead of port 25.
- SMTP Protocol: You can select the protocol prefix (SSL/TLS) that your connector supports.
- SMTP Authentication: Select "ON" here if your SMTP connector requires authentication to establish the connection. Then, enter the SMTP credentials in username and password.
- Maximum send rate: This is the maximum number of emails per second that can be accepted by your SMTP connector.
Configure Custom Unsubscribe Settings
- "MoEngage Tracking" will add your unsubscribe page URL as the email footer - “If you'd like to unsubscribe and stop receiving these emails click here”.
Depending on the Data Center your dashboard was configured in please input the callback URL for Unsubscribe Page URL
https://api-01.moengage.com/v1/emailresubscribe - Datacenter 1
https://api-02.moengage.com/v1/emailresubscribe - Datacenter 2
https://api-03.moengage.com/v1/emailresubscribe - Datacenter 3
- Selecting "None" for promotional email campaigns will lead to higher chances of being classified as spam.
Configure Custom Bounce and Complaint Settings
- Bounce & Complaints Tracking: Moengage can receive this information in a POST call in the below format to url mentioned in your Moengage Account -> App Settings -> Email Settings -> Connector Configurations -> Custom -> Callback URL
Since we will not have the Campaign ID in case of this callback, we are unable to show the bounce and complaint details in Campaign Analytics for Custom SMTP Connectors.
POST Format - list of JSON. In "event" you can pass "hard_bounce", "soft_bounce" or "spam" for each case.
You are all set up with connector configurations. You can now click on the "Save" button which will test these settings (including credentials etc.) and save them. You can then select Custom SMTP as the default connector in General Settings.
While creating new email campaigns the settings from General Settings will be used as defaults. If you choose Email from the standard attribute, with the correct connector configuration we will track global opt-out against this email address. If you chose a custom email attribute, unsubscribes will need to be handled separately.
MoEngage standard attribute name for email attribute is Email (Standard). This is a standard attribute where the name is provided by MoEngage and the value is provided by the client.
FC & DND
To limit the number of emails sent to users in a certain period of time please configure frequency capping settings.
Do not disturb are quiet hours during which it is advisable to not send any messaging to users. In case a message is scheduled to be sent during do not disturb hours, you can either discard the message or save it for after do not disturb hours are over.