Task or Objective to be achieved:
Migrate web push subscriber base from other platforms to MoEngage and target these users via campaigns created on MoEngage.
Steps to be carried out:
1) Integrate MoEngage SDK with your website. Please refer to the integration document for steps to integrate the SDK.
2) Once the SDK has been integrated, add the FCM details in the MoEngage Dashboard. The 'FCM Project Number' and 'API Server Key' should be the same as used in the previous platform.
3) Create campaigns targetting 'All Users' in the previous vendor platform and redirect the users onto your website. The objective of this step is to register the MoEngage Service Worker on the user's device which is required to show Push Notifications from campaigns created on the MoEngage Platform.
4) If a user has already subscribed to receive web push notifications from your website, the opt-in permission would not be shown to the user. In the backend, the following steps would occur:
i) Register the MoEngage Service Worker
ii) Generate a push token for this user.
iii) Capture device details such as Browser type, Browser version, etc.
5) The users would now be able to receive Push Notifications from campaigns created on MoEngage Dashboard.
Q: What if the subscribed users do not visit the website after integrating the MoEngage SDK. Will they be reachable via Web Push Campaigns?
Ans: If the users do not visit the website after the MoEngage SDK is integrated, the MoEngage service worker would not be registered on their device and they may/may not receive the push notification as the older serviceworker(from the previous vendor) may be following a different payload structure and it may not support our payload structure. Even if the notification is shown to the user, we will not be able to track impressions in this case.
Q: When would old tokens be targetable?
Ans: If we use the same FCM credentials and if the previous serviceworker supports the payload structure from MoEngage, then the user can receive and see the Push notification. However, the impressions would not be tracked.