We have launched version 3 of In-App Nativ with the aim of providing greater reliability, better performance, and being able to support some of the popular features amongst our In-App Nativ users. In this article, we have listed the changes and improvements that you can see with our In-App Nativ Version 3 Campaigns.
Accessing In-App Nativ Version 3 from MoEngage Dashboard.
Once, enabled for your account, you will be able to see the In-App Nativ Version 3 as shown below:
- Navigate to MoEngage Dashboard.
- Use any one of the following options:
- On the All Campaigns page, click Create Campaign.
The Create Campaign page is displayed.
- Click Create New > Campaign.
The Create Campaign page is displayed.
- On the All Campaigns page, click Create Campaign.
- Click In-App.
As you can see in the above screenshot, we have merged campaign creation for General and Smart Trigger In-App Campaigns. Earlier, we had two different types of campaigns - General In-App and Smart Trigger In-App Campaign and you had to go into separate workflows in order to create different types of campaigns.
With Version 3 of InApp Nativ, we have now merged both workflows making it easier for you to switch between campaign types. In Step 1 of campaign creation we have
- On app open: These campaigns will be shown on any screen as soon as the user opens the app. Selecting this option is similar to creating the General In-App Campaign in the previous version of In-App Nativ.
- On specific screen: These campaigns will be shown as soon as the user opens a specific screen or context.
- Custom Event: These campaigns are shown as soon as the user executes the selected trigger action.
Improvements in In-App Nativ Version 3
There are some additional features that we have in In-App Nativ Version 3 as follows:
- EDIT Campaign: With In-App Nativ Version 3, you can now EDIT your in-app campaigns once created. Once the InApp V3 is enabled for your account, you will start seeing the EDIT option for your campaigns.
- Updated Segmentation and Trigger Action drop-downs: With Version 3 of In-App Nativ we have also updated the drop-downs we show for Segmentation and Trigger Action.
The new drop-downs for Trigger Action and Segmentation will allow you to use features like case sensitivity, data-types in case of multiple data-types, use filters like "in the following" and another date attribute like before 5 days ago and so on which were missing earlier.
- Template Presets: With Version 3 of In-App Nativ, you can also use our Template Presets feature now which will allow you to customize the default templates and use these customized templates for future use directly.
You can refer to this article to know more about In-App Nativ Template Presets.
- Show on in-app fragments: With our Version 3 of In-App Nativ campaigns, you can now restrict your in-app messages to specific app fragments only. Earlier our InApp messages could only be restricted to certain app screens (rather than activities or view controllers). We are now allowing you to restrict your in-app nativ campaigns to specific app fragments as well.
To restrict in-app messages to specific fragments, you can enter the fragment name under Display Settings here -
This is optional and you can leave it empty if not required.
Also, please ensure that you have followed the integration changes as mentioned in the below docs to restrict in-app messages to app fragments.
- Custom Fonts: You can now use custom fonts in your mobile in-app campaigns to make the messages look more native to your app. You can add custom fonts here -
You can leave it empty if you do not want to apply custom fonts for your in-app messages. Also, please note that the custom fonts won't be applied to the message preview that you see on the dashboard.
During campaign creation, enter the font name of the custom font on the dashboard which you want to use in the InApp Message. You also need to ensure that the same font name is also available in your app bundle.
- On Android: Place the font file in-app bundle inside the font folder res --> font and enter the exact font name on the dashboard
- On iOS: Bundle the font file in the App and enter the exact font name on the dashboard.
You can use the TEST Campaign functionality to check the look and feel of your in-app messages with the custom font.
- TEST Campaign: Earlier, you would be observing that the TEST Campaign would fail a lot of times. This was due to the underlying architecture for TEST Campaigns. We have now fixed this and the TEST Campaigns will always work now.
Please note that it will always take about 5-8 seconds for the test campaign to be shown on your device after clicking the push notification. We have delayed this on purpose so that the functionality will not break due to your custom redirection logic.
- Full-Screen Template: Earlier, the full-screen template could not be rendered properly on all devices. This was because our full-screen templates were top aligned and a single image cannot be rendered on devices with different form factors without distorting the image. To solve this, we have now refactored our Full-Screen Template so that it is centrally aligned now and an opaque background now covers the entire screen and your in-app message is rendered on top of this. This ensures that your full-screen in-app message will be shown properly on all devices.
Just need to follow the below steps to do this
- Upload Image
- Set the background color similar to that of the image
- Set the overlay color similar to that of the image and opacity = 1
- Change the tint color: Until now, in-app messages were always displayed on top of a gray transparent tint. We are now allowing you to customize the color of this tint as shown
- Open Rich Landing Page: You can now open a webpage inside your app in the web view when your users click on the in-app messages. This can be configured as shown
- Send SMS: With Version 3 of In-App Nativ you can now send an SMS as soon as the user clicks on your in-app message. To configure SMS as an action for your in-app message, you need to set this up as shown below -
Once the user clicks on the in-app message, the default SMS app of your device will open up with the configured message as shown below -
- Track Event and Event Attribute on click of the in-app message: With Version 3 of In-App Nativ, you can now track an event on click of the in-app message and also track an event attribute along with this as shown below -
When the user clicks on this in-app message, an event will be tracked and seen in the user profile and can be used for further re-targeting.
- Execute Custom Action on click of the in-app message: You can also define custom actions in your mobile app which can then be executed on clicking the in-app message. To set this up, follow the steps mentioned here -
- Campaign Priority: If there are more than one campaign with the same trigger action, only one campaign with the highest priority will be shown to the user at a time. The Campaign Priority settings will allow you to define the priority in which the campaigns should be shown to the user in case of clashes.
- Turn Off Delivery Controls: You can also turn off delivery controls in Version 3 of In-App Nativ so that the campaign can be shown as many times as required. This can be done as follows -
- Global Delay and Ignore Global Delay: Define a minimum delay between any two in-app messages which we call as the global delay between two in-app messages. This setting ensures that your users do not end up seeing many messages one after the other. Set the delay settings by navigating to MoEngage > Settings > Channel > In-App Settings.
In Version 3, we have made it applicable for all In-App Nativ campaigns.
Moreover, with Version 3 of In-App Nativ, you can now also ignore the global delay setting so that you can choose to show certain critical in-app campaigns even if the user has seen another campaign previously. This can be done from the Delivery Controls option as shown here -
- Rating Template: Half-star rating and 10-star scale: You can now choose to show a 10-star rating scale to your users and also allow them to rate half a star -
SDK Version Dependency for Features
Some of the improvements in InApp Nativ Version 3 are supported for specific SDK Versions only as listed below -
|Feature||Android SDK Version||iOS SDK Version|
|Ignore Global Delay||>10.0.00||>6.0.0|
|Allowing users to give half-star rating||>10.0.00||>6.0.0|
|More than 5 stars in the rating template||>10.0.00||>6.0.0|
|Action Custom Action||>10.0.00||>6.0.0|
|Action Track Event with Event Attribute||>10.0.00||>6.0.0|
|Restrict in-apps to app fragment||>10.0.00||>6.0.0|
|Show only in screen
where Trigger Action = Custom Event
Rich Landing Page
5-star rating template
You can also export the In-App Version 3 campaigns now but you need to select the filter for Mobile In-Apps as shown below -
Please note that the campaign report for In-App Nativ Version 3 will be in a different file than the previous version campaigns.
Changes to Analytics Events for In-App Nativ Version 3
Once you start updating your SDKs to the In-App Version 3 compatible SDK Versions (Android >10.0.00 and iOS > 6.0.0), the analytics event names will be updated. You will see the below events after updating to our Version 3 SDKs for both Android and iOS -
- Mobile In-App Shown
- Mobile In-App Clicked
- Mobile In-App Closed
- Mobile In-App Auto Dismissed
If you have recently migrated then you will see the older events as well and these need to be analyzed separately. The older events are listed below -
- In-App Shown Android
- In-App Clicked Android
- In-App Closed Android
- In-App Shown iOS
- In-App Clicked iOS
- In-App Closed iOS
What are some of the limitations of In-App Nativ Version 3 right now?
Although we have been able to upgrade our underlying architecture for the In-App Nativ product to support more features, we have the below limitations right now -
- Archive Campaign Option: Ability to archive the campaigns from all campaigns page when no longer needed.
- In-App Messages for apps in Landscape Mode: Ability to show in-app messages when the app is in landscape mode.
- In-App Messages on Tablets: Ability to show in-app messages on tablets.