Custom segments enable you to save user segment queries and provide a name for this query for ease of use. Now this custom segment can be used on multiple pages in the MoEngage dashboard instead of entering the entire query and creating the segment again.
Creating Custom Segment
In the MoEngage dashboard custom segments can be created in 3 ways -
- Navigate to Segment > Create Segment, after entering the query, click on the “Create” button and select Create Custom Segment. Enter the custom segment name and save the custom segment. Additionally, in the Recent Query section for a selected query click on the 'Create Custom Segment' icon. Enter the custom segment name and save the custom segment. These sections create a dynamic custom segment. This is explained in the Create User Segments article.
- Custom segments can be created while importing users. The users in the segment remain fixed and hence this is a static custom segment. Click here to know more.
- Custom segments can also be created from Behaviour analysis, Funnel analysis and RFM Segments. These sections create a dynamic custom segment. Click here to know more.
Using Custom Segment
On the MoEngage dashboard custom segments can be used in multiple different ways -
- Custom segments can be utilized to create a complex user segment. A custom segment can be used in creating user segments along with user properties and user activities.
- A custom segment can be used while creating other custom segments, hence complex nesting of custom segments is allowed. A custom segment can have up to 3 levels of recursion/nesting i.e. Custom Segment A definition can include Segment B which in turn can include Segment C which in turn can include Segment D.
- While creating/defining a new custom segment, up to 10 existing custom segments can be used in the new custom segment.
- Custom Segments can be used to create a target audience while creating a campaign for different channels such as Push, Email, SMS, In-App, Facebook, Flows, etc.
Custom Segment Analysis
Users of a custom segment can be analyzed on the MoEngage Analytics pages - Behavior, Funnel, Retention, Session & Source, User Paths & RFM Segments. By default, all users are analyzed for the above-mentioned analysis. To analyze users of a specific custom segment, select the desired custom segment from the custom segment dropdown. Provide the other required parameter for the respective analysis and hit the 'Apply' button. This provides the desired analysis for a respective custom segment.
Navigate to Segment > All Segments, enter the custom segment name that you want to Archive, and search. For the selected custom segment click on Actions -> Archive to archive the selected custom segment.
For custom segments -
- Archived custom segments are not available in the custom segments dropdown on the MoEngage dashboard. If an archived Rule/Filter-based Segment is used in the campaign, the segment gets calculated based on the rule/filters. If an archived File Segment is used in a campaign, the segment will return 0 users.
- Custom segments that have not run (query not executed) in the last 60 days are automatically archived.
- All the users from the archived File Custom Segment are dropped after 30 days of archival. Hence after 30 days of archival, the archived custom segment returns 0 users.
- You can mark an expiry time for the file custom segments using Custom File segment API. After the expiry time, all existing users from the custom segment are dropped, and the custom segment is archived.
- Custom segments cannot have the same name, even when one of the segments is archived.
Navigate to Segment > All Segments, and click on the 'Archived Segments' toggle to view a list of all archived segments. Search the custom segment that you want to unarchive from the list. For the selected custom segment click on the 'Unarchive' action to unarchive the segment.