A segment is a group of users defined by specific properties, values, or rules. Segments can be used to send campaigns or to analyze specific information or behavioral traits of users.
This article helps growth teams with segment definitions such as - Users who have opened the app in the last 30 days or Users whose Location is New York AND have executed Purchase at least 3 times in the last 30 days. Hence whenever this segment executes, all the users who fulfill the criteria become part of the segment.
After creating a user segment, follow it up with creating a campaign to target these users. Learn more about creating campaigns in this article.
This document explains Rule Based Segments in detail and how to combine them with other types of segments.
Before you start with segmentation, do ensure that MoEngage SDK integration and Event tracking is completed for your app/website. More details on integration in our documentation.
Rule Based Segments
On the MoEngage dashboard, growth teams can create rules and criteria to define a user segment. The rules and criteria can be applied to user attributes/properties, events & event properties, and a combination of the two.
User properties are attributes of the user in the MoEngage system such as email, name, last location, etc. The value of user properties gets updated almost in real time and the latest values are available for calculation.
Events are activities done by users such as App Open, Product Purchase, etc. These events also have event attributes such as app version, platform name, product category, product price, etc. Event attributes are tracked with events and are specific to the selected event.
Creating Rule-Based Segments
To create a Rule-Based Segment, click on Segment on the sidebar and then click on Create Segments. This lands on the Create Segments page.
Use User Properties
Select the User Property section then:
- Select desired user property and filter conditions.
- Provide the filter value/s to create a rule.
The description for the selected user property appears in the right section of the dropdown.
Use Event and Event Properties
Select the User Behavior section then -
- Select the execution condition and the desired user activity (event)
- Provide event frequency and time duration for the event execution
- Add Event attribute with a filter condition
- Provide the filter value/s to create a rule.
The description for the selected event appears in the right section of the dropdown.
Use User Affinity
Affinity Segments are groups of users created based on the user performing an action with a specific attribute value.
User affinity is explained in detail in this article.
Select the User Affinity section then -
- Select the desired user activity (event)
- Select the user affinity parameter from - Predominantly, Minimum of, Most no. of times, and Least no. of times.
- For Predominantly & Minimum of, select affinity attribute with a filter condition and provide the affinity value/s.
- For Most no. of times & Least no. of times, provide top/bottom percentage of users
- Provide time duration for the event execution
- Add Event attribute with a filter condition and provide the filter value/s to create a rule.
Use Custom Segment
Select the Custom Segment section, then select the desired custom segment to create a rule.
Custom Segments are explained in detail in this article.
The description for the selected custom segment appears below the custom segment selection dropdown.
Teams in Segments
If teams are enabled for your account, you will be able to create segments for them by selecting the team from the Teams dropdown. Every team has a segment criteria specified for it during its creation. This condition gets added with an AND condition to segments created. For example, if you create a custom segment as a set of users whose last known city is Los Angeles and the segmentation criteria for your team is frequent buyers (users who have purchased products more than ten times in the last seven days), your custom segment will comprise frequent buyers whose last known city is Los Angeles. For more information, refer to Teams in MoEngage.
When Teams are enabled:
MoEngage Teams with the Segmentation Filters is a Beta feature. To get it enabled for your account, reach out to your CSM.
Multiple User Property rules, User activity rules, User Affinity rules, and Custom Segments can be combined using AND, OR and Exclude conditions to create a robust and complex user segment.
With Nested AND/OR capabilities, along with (A AND B AND C AND D) and (A OR B OR C OR D) type of segments, complex segments such as the following can be created:
- (A AND B) OR (C AND D)
- (A OR B) AND (C OR D)
- (A OR B) AND C AND D
- (A AND B) OR C OR D
Use the 'Add Nested Filter' button to add a nested block (Event block - Event with all its filters. Nested block - Multiple nested event blocks)
The nested condition is preselected, opposite to the outer condition. If the outer condition is AND, the nested condition will be OR and vice-versa. By default, the nested condition is OR and the Outer condition is AND.
Both the nested as well as the outer conditions can be changed. When the outer condition is changed (let's say, from AND to OR), the nested condition automatically gets updated to the opposite condition (in this case, AND) and vice versa.
Nested AND/OR functionalities are available in segmentation as well as campaign creation pages in the target audience section. They are not supported in Trigger Criteria in Event-triggered campaigns.
A particular user segment can also be excluded from the selected user segment, to use this click on Exclude user checkbox.
To see the user count for the created segment and other details explained in the Recent queries section below.
In Create, there are 2 options available:
1. Create Custom Segment - To save the created Segment as a Custom Segment, provide the segment name and click on Create button.
2. Create Campaign - To create a campaign using the created Segment, select the channel type and the campaign type. Clicking on Create Campaign will redirect to the respective campaign page with the created segment populated in the Target Audience section.
The following channels are available for Creating a campaign from Segmentation - Push, Email, SMS, Whatsapp, Cards, Facebook Audience, Google Ads Audience, In-App, and Connector campaigns.
Note: When Teams are enabled, you can only create SMS, Email, and WhatsApp campaigns.
Analyze a segment directly from the Segmentation page. This action auto-populates the segment in the Target audience section of Behavior, Funnels, Retention, Session and Source, User Paths, and RFM analysis.
The recent query section lists all the user segment queries run across the MoEngage dashboard. Be it segment queries run from Create Segment page or from All Campaigns (Email, Push, SMS, etc.), MoEngage users would be able to see contextual numbers for the target audience (Both Total and Reachable users on the channel where the query was made) along with query source information. When Teams are enabled, you will be able to see the recent queries for the selected team (team chosen in the Teams dropdown).
Segment execution at the respective campaign page adds extra filters (which are not present in the segment rules), these queries can be identified by the Source column. The same segment executed in Create Segment page and campaign page may result in different reachable user numbers as the campaign page segment shows the reachable users for the respective channel (Push, Email & SMS), and Create Segment page shows the reachable users across all channels.
Click on the refresh icon to rerun any query.
If there is a delay in the execution of any query, click on the email icon and provide the email address to get notified when the query execution is completed.
Click on any query row to expand it and view the details about the query -
On expanding a query, you will see
- where the source is Segmentation, it will show the reachable user count across all outbound channels (Push, Email & SMS). Reachable user count is also available for specific channels individually.
where the source is the Push campaign, it will show the reachable user count for push notifications. Reachable user count is also available for Android, iOS, and Web platforms for the Push.
- Sample user's initials or GU(Stands for Guest) - Click on these bubbles to open the user profile
- Edit query option to edit the query.
- Campaign and Custom segments can be created using:
- Create campaign to create a campaign directly from the Segment page
- Create custom segment to create a custom segment for reuse later
- Analyze segment to analyze a segment in Behavior, Funnels, Retention, Session and Source, User Paths, and RFM analysis directly from the Segment page
- Export users option to export users and desired User Attributes/properties of the Segment. More details in this article.
- Show More to see the list of all sample users. The sample users count is limited to 50 at this point.
For a quick user view, users can be searched using ID, Email, Mobile No. or MoEngage ID. Just enter the text in the user search box and hit enter. MoEngage system will search for the provided text in all the four mentioned fields and show the results.
The search result shows the 50 users sorted on the last active time. This list of users can be sorted on any of the columns. Click anywhere on the row to open the respective user's User Profile.
PII (Personally Identifiable Information) marked attributes are shown as Private or --- in the User Search and Show more popup. Know more.