MoEngage allows any user attribute or event attribute to be marked as Personally Identifiable Information (PII). All the PII marked attributes are not shown on and also can not be downloaded from the MoEngage dashboard.
What is PII?
PII or Personally Identifiable Information is a legal term related to information security. PII is information that can be used by organizations on its own or with other information to identify, contact, or locate a user or person of interest. The concept of the PII determines which data to store, process, manage and display that identifies users.
The following information qualifies as PII, as they uniquely identify a user - full name (if uncommon), email id, mobile number ID number, address, passport details, login name or screen name, etc.
There are quasi-identifiers, when used with other information, can be used to identify a user. For example, ZIP code, date of birth, and gender can uniquely identify a person 87% of the time in the US, according to a US governmental study. Pseudo identifiers may or may not be considered PII under the law of the land.
Mark attribute as PII
In the MoEngage Data Management, any user attribute or event attribute can be marked as a PII attribute.
Steps to mark an event attribute as PII attribute -
- Go to Settings > Data Management
- Click on the Events tab to access events and event attribute
- Select or search the desired event, and click on that event to access the desired attribute
- For the desired attribute, click on the 3 dot button on the right, and then click on Edit to access the different actions.
- On the 'Edit Event attribute' popup, mark the PII as 'Yes' to make the desired attribute as PII.
Steps to mark a user attribute as PII attribute -
- Go to Settings > Data Management
- Click on the User attributes tab to access user attributes
- Search the desired user attribute
- Select desired attributes and mark them as PII, by clicking on 'Yes' on the PII option above the header in the Action bar.
- Or, for the desired user attribute, click on the 3 dot button on the right, and then click on Edit to access the different actions.
- On the 'Edit User attribute' popup, mark the PII as 'Yes' to make the desired attribute as PII.
|Only Admins can mark an attribute as a PII attribute.|
Accessing PII Attributes
Here is the list of pages & functionality from where the PIIs are not displayed/exported on the MoEngage dashboard -
- User search
All the PII marked user attributes are shown as --- in the User Search popup.
- Show user popup
All the PII marked user attributes are shown as --- in the Show User popup.
- User Exports
All the PII marked user attributes can not be selected to export in the User Export popup.
- User Profile User Info Section
All the PII marked user attributes are shown as Private in the user info section of the user profile.
- User Profile User Activity
All the PII marked event attributes are shown as Private in the activity info section of the user profile.
- Recent events
All the PII marked event attributes are shown as Private on the Recent Event page.
- Value Suggestions
Value suggestions are not shown for the PII marked attribute on Segmentation and Analytics pages.
- Split by / Compare by in Analytics pages
On Behavior, Funnel, and Retention pages, split by or compare by functionalities are blocked for PII marked attributes.
Only Admins can access or export all PII attributes on the dashboard.
Non Dashboard Functionality
These features are not available by default, require manual enablement, and are enabled on request. Please provide access to your team of these features as per your security and data needs.