You can send personalized emails to your users based on their attributes or send smart triggered emails based on user behaviour. Before you start creating email campaigns, make sure you have configured email settings.
In this article, we describe the steps in creating a general email campaign.
Navigate to Campaigns->Create Campaign from the sidebar
Click on Create Button in Email Campaign under Email Campaign tab
Step 1: Segmentation - Name the campaign and define the campaign target audience
Select a name that helps you identify the campaign while managing the campaigns later. Campaign name must have minimum of 5 characters.
Target Audience or the target segment for the campaign can be selected in three ways:
1. All Users: This selection will send the email to all the users with valid email addresses. Click on Show Count to show the count of users with valid email addresses (users who have an Email attribute and email has not bounced/unsubscribed/complained) .
2. Custom Segment: You can target any of the custom segments saved during segmentation by selecting this option. It gives you an option to search the custom segments by name. Learn more about custom segments here.
3. Create a new segment: Alternatively, you can create a new user segment on-the-fly similar to creating a segment through user attributes/events in segmentation. Learn more about creating a segment in this article.
After selecting the desired target segment, click on Next to move to "Compose Email" tab
Step 2: Compose Email - Select an email template, compose email message, preview and save email template
You can choose among Basic (Custom Design, Paste HTML, ZIP upload), contextual templates (based on email use-cases) or Design Layout based templates. Additionally, you have an option to select previously saved templates under Saved Templates from drop-down after you have saved your created templates.
Once you select a template, on the next screen you can enter email credentials and edit the content as follows:
Here, you can personalize the Email Subject and Email Content (including any URLs). Type "@" and select among the list of user attributes. You will also need to select a fallback mechanism which applies when personalization attribute is missing for a user. Read more about personalizing emails here.
You have to enter Sender Name and select a "from" email address from the drop-down. If you do not see any email addresses in the drop-down, its likely that you have not added/verified "from" email addresses in email settings.
There are additional options to
- Personalize URLs & images,
- Run Spam Test,
- See Email Tips,
- Preview the email for laptop/mobile
- Save the template being created.
- Additionally, you can change the email template by clicking on "Change Template" button.
Do not forget to insert an unsubscribe link in your email template. Read more about unsubscribe tracking mechanism here.
After composing the email, click Next button to move to "Scheduling & Goals" tab
Step 3: Scheduling & Goals - Select a scheduling type and conversion goal for the campaign.
There are three types of scheduling available for Email Campaigns:
1. As soon as possible: This starts the campaign as soon as it is created.
2. At a particular date and time: Enter the date, time and timezone for this scheduling
3. Periodic/Recurring: This scheduling creates multiple campaigns scheduled at a particular time in a time-zone after every defined number of days. This requires an expiry date to stop the recurring campaigns.
After deciding on the scheduling, you can set the campaign conversion goal to understand the conversion activity tracked from running the campaign. Through this, you can tie the success of the campaign to conversion activities such as Item Purchased. You can also associate an attribute such as "Revenue" with the conversion goal
(Optional) Running Test Campaigns - Test campaigns enable previewing the campaign or testing for certain custom segments to make sure the emails appears and targets segments - exactly the way it was meant to. You can test the campaign you have just created by either selecting a custom segment (this will create a test campaign which you can view on All Campaigns page)
or entering comma-separated email addresses. In this option, no personalization will happen - it is primarily used to see how your email actually appears.
Your campaign is now ready to be sent. Click on Create button, confirm in the dialog box and your campaign is created. Upon successful campaign creation, you will be taken to the campaign info page where you can view the campaign performance stats such as sent, opens, clicks, conversions, unsubscribes, bounces etc. as mentioned in this article.
Next, you can understand how to manage (view, edit and duplicate) campaigns.