User imports enable you to import new user profiles (or) update profile data of existing users through a CSV file. This is particularly useful when migrating from other platforms to MoEngage, or performing mass updates to a large user segment. Some common scenarios where this is useful are listed below:
- Importing new users - Useful for immediately starting with Email Campaigns & SMS Campaigns without waiting for Mobile/Web SDK integrations
- Updating existing users - Enables you to update specific user attributes for existing users in MoEngage. This is useful for when you are running campaigns which are segmented or personalized on these user attributes, like sending notifications with unique coupon codes.
This feature is accessible from Segmentation page -> Import Users tab.
The following step-by-step process outlines how users can be imported into the MoEngage platform.
Step 1: Upload CSV list of users
The first step towards importing users is to upload the .CSV file containing the user details including their User Attributes. MoEngage allows user lists to be imported as a list of Logged In users (users who have signed up on your website or app), or as a list of Anonymous users (users who have used/visited your app or website but have not registered themselves). These two user list types are explained in detail below.
- LoggedIn Users: These are users who have have a registered account with your app/website. These users should have a unique identifier in your system and for this upload your list should mandatorily map a column that contains this unique user identifier with user attribute "ID". This upload is mostly used to update user attributes of these registered users.
- Anonymous Users: These are users who have not yet signed up on your app/website but you have some identifier to recognize them i.e. email, mobile number etc. For this upload type, you need to mark a column from your list (email, mobile number etc.) as the "Anonymous ID" of the user. This upload can be used to create anonymous users in MoEngage using their recognizable unique identifiers and send email/SMS campaigns.
For each upload, you can also download a sample file which clearly explains the data format expected in the CSV File. Once you have selected the upload type that you wish to perform, you can click on the “Select a file from computer” link to select your preferred .csv file. You can also drag and drop the file into the area shown in the image above. Once the file upload is completed successfully, you can click on the “Next” button to perform the next step.
Note: In case you provide a unique identifier for LoggedIn Users (or Anonymous Identifier for Anonymous Users) who already exist in the system, the existing users will get updated with new attributes. If the identifier does not exist, MoEngage will create a new user with that identifier.
Step 2: Configure columns of CSV File
Mapping User Attributes
In this step, you will need to map each column of the uploaded CSV file to existing user attributes (or create a new user attribute). You will see the top 3 rows (excluding Header) and all the columns of your CSV file (scroll horizontally to see all the columns). For each column, select a user attribute from the drop-down.
For LoggedIn Users, you need to mandatorily identify one of the columns as Unique Identifier of the user by selecting "ID" from the drop-down.
For Anonymous users, you can identify any column as the Anonymous Identifier by hovering over the column and selecting checkbox "Anonymous ID".
Adding new User Attributes
If a column is a new attribute you are adding to your users, click on "+" and enter the name of the attribute. In case the new attribute name is same as one of the existing attributes, you will need to enter a new name.
In case you need to skip any of the columns, just click on "Skip the column" and you will not need to configure that column. To hide skipped columns, you can de-select the checkbox "Show Skipped Columns" below the configuration.
In case you want to re-include a skipped column, make sure you select "Show Skipped Columns" checkbox and for that column click "Include & Configure"
Creating Custom Segment
Custom segments can be created for the imported users during the user import workflow itself. This can be achieved by selecting the "Create Custom Segment" checkbox and providing a name for the custom segment. Upon successful completion, this custom segment will start appearing in the list of Custom Segments from where it can be used for any campaigns.
Click on Finish and your data will be uploaded. You will see a list of all your imports and their status will indicate if the upload has been processed. Once the upload is processed, you will get an email mentioning the details of the upload.
After your first user import, you will see a section which will show the past imports in your account and their details.
What is not supported currently:
- Multi-language support - Currently the Import User feature supports lists containing values only in English language.
- Non-string Attribute Types - For successful imports, all the attribute in the uploaded file should be of type:String. Non-string attribute types are not supported currently.
- Newline character formats other than "\n" - .The only newline character currently supported for the .csv files is "\n".Other formats like "Ctrl+M" or "\r" are not supported.
In case you have any questions around User Imports, please reach out to us on email@example.com.