Personalized emails have higher open rates and higher conversions since they leverage the email context and are relevant. This article describes how you can personalize your email campaigns based on
- User attributes such as Name, Location or other attributes (for both general & smart trigger emails)
- Event attributes such as Product Image, Product Price, Product Name etc of an event Added to Cart (only for smart trigger emails)
Personalization is supported in:
- Email Subject
- Email Content: Along with Email Text personalization, we also support the following:
To insert personalization in Email Subject/Content Text, enter "@" and select the user/event attribute.
On selecting the attribute, you will be prompted to select Fallback mechanism for this user attribute.
Fallback mechanism is useful where personalization may fail due to that attribute not present for the user or non-resolution of that user attribute.
You can select one among the following fallback options -
- No Fallback text: The user attribute will be removed, if not present/resolved for that user
- Enter the Fallback text: The user attribute will be replaced with the text you have entered
- Do not send this email if personalization fails: The email will not be sent to the user if the personalized user attribute is not present/resolved for that user
Image personalization will help you to insert contextual images in emails - mainly useful for cart abandonment emails.
- Select the "Cart Abandonment" template in "Content" tab or use your own email template.
- Click on Image Personalization button
- Enter the image URL and personalize using "@". If you are tracking entire image URL as an attribute, you can directly just refer to that attribute using "@".
- You will then be asked to select a fallback mechanism - this is applicable if the attribute is not correctly resolved or there is no image present at the URL after resolving the attribute. You can either enter a fallback image (this will be shown if personalization fails) or decide to not send the email if image is not personalized.
- You are now ready to insert this image URL. Copy this complete URL by clicking on "COPY" button.
You have two options now - replace the existing image or insert a new image in the template
Replace an existing image in the template - Select the image and click on Replace.
Enter the personalized URL under Image Personalization tab and click on Replace button.
Inserting a new image in the template - Click on "Insert Image" in the top bar of the editor
Enter the personalized URL under Image Personalization tab and click on Insert button.
Once this personalized image is inserted/replaced, you can change the size of the image by extending/reducing the borders or by specifying a size in in Resize option on selecting the image. Make sure the size of the image matches the actual & fallback images - otherwise the resolution might result in image distortion.
You can also personalize the URLs or deep links where you are redirecting the user upon a click by the user.
- Click on Link button as shown below
- Create the personalized URL in dialog box that opens
- You can then copy this link & paste it while inserting a link wherever required in the content
Note: If personalized URL fails to find/resolve the user attribute, the email will not be sent to the user. There is no fallback mechanism for personalized URLs.
If you have any issues creating personalized email campaigns, you can reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org