A segment is a group of users defined by specific properties or values. The segments can be used to send campaigns or to analyze specific information or behavioral traits of users.
MoEngage dashboard enables growth teams to create multiple kinds of segments. These segments can be divided into 2 primary categories.
- Static Segment - Users in these segments are fixed.
- Dynamic Segment – Users in these segments are dynamically calculated based on the rules or the criteria provided.
This document explains Dynamic Segments in detail and the working of the same. Learn more in detail about the Static Segment in this article.
This helps the growth team the segment definitions such as - Users who have opened the app in the last 30 days, or Users who's Location is NewYork AND has executed Purchase at least 3 times in the last 30 days. Hence whenever this segment executes, all the users who fulfill the criteria become the part of the segment.
After creating a user segment, follow it up with creating a campaign to target these users. Learn more about creating campaigns in this article.
Before you start with segmentation, do ensure that MoEngage SDK integration and Event tracking is completed for your app/website. More details on integration in our documentation.
On MoEngage dashboard growth teams can create rules and criteria to define a user segment. The rules and criteria can be used on user attributes/properties, events & event properties, and a combination of the two.
User properties are attributes of the user in the MoEngage system such as email, name, last location, etc. The value of user properties gets updated almost real-time and the latest values are available for calculation.
Events are activities done by users such as App Open, Product Purchase, etc. These events also have event attributes such as app version, platform name, product category, product price, etc. Event attributes are tracked with events and are specific to the selected event.
Creating Dynamic Segments
To create a Dynamic Segment visit Create Segments page. Click on Segmentation on the sidebar and then click on Create Segments. This lands on the primary tab of Segmentation.
Use User Properties
Select the User Properties section then -
- Select desired user property and filter conditions.
- Provide the filter value/s to create a rule.
The description for the selected user property appears below the selection dropdown.
Use Event and Event Properties
Select User Behavior section then -
- Select the execution condition and the desired user activity (event)
- Provide event frequency and time duration for the event execution
- Add Event attribute with a filter condition
- Provide the filter value/s to create a rule.
The description for the selected event appears below Add Attribute button.
MoEngage generates a few default user properties, events, and event attributes. A list of all derived events and attributes can be found in this article.
Use Custom Segment
Select the Custom Segment section then select the desired custom segment to create a rule.
Custom Segments are explained in detail in this article.
The description for the selected custom segment appears below ustom segment selection dropdown.
Multiple User Property rules, User activity rules, and Custom Segment rules can be combined using AND or OR filters to create a complex user segment. Use Add Filter button to add a section.
A particular user segment can also be excluded from the selected user segment, to use this click on Exclude user checkbox.
- SHOW COUNT - To see the user count for the created segment and other detail explained in the Recent queries section below.
- RESET FILTERS - To rest all the filters added for creating segments.
- Save Custom Segment - To save the created Segment as a Custom Segment.
The recent query section lists all the user segment execution on the MoEngage dashboard irrespective of which page they run at. Segments that get executed in the Create Segment page and all campaigns' (email, push, SMS, etc.) target audience count is also get listed here.
Segment execution at the respective campaign page adds extra filters (which are not present in the segment rules) to display the reachability for the specific channel. Hence the same segment executed in Create Segment page and campaign page may result in different numbers as the campaign page segment shows the reachable users and Create Segment page shows the segmented users.
Recent Queries section also provides multiple capabilities -
- Receive an email alert when the segment execution is completed
- Re-run an old query again
- Edit an old query
- Save any of the recent queries as Custom Segments
- View a sample of 50 users. Click on any user and view a complete User Profile.
- Export desired User Attributes of the Segment. More details in this article.