To send an SMS via MoEngage, you need to integrate with an SMS service provider. You can either configure the integrated connectors or custom connectors in MoEngage.
MoEngage has native integrations with some SMS providers - Gupshup, Kaleyra, ICS, Sinch, and Twilio. These are present under the hood Integrated Connectors on the MoEngage SMS settings page. MoEngage can work with you to set up an account with any of these providers, or you can also configure your existing account with any of these providers on MoEngage.
Refer to the following articles for detailed steps on configuring integrated connectors.
If you wish to integrate with a provider apart from the ones mentioned above, you have to work with the provider to set up an account and configure it on the MoEngage dashboard as SMS Custom Connectors.
Refer to the following articles for detailed steps on configuring custom connectors.
For both integrated and custom connectors, you have to configure senders. You can configure multiple senders for an SMS connector and streamline your SMS communications for different brands or types by having separate threads. Moreover, you can then choose different senders for different SMS campaigns during SMS campaign creation.
To add a sender, go to SMS settings > SMS Connector Config. Select the Connector you want to use; it can be an integrated connector or a custom one. Click +ADD SENDER to create a new tab. Set a sender name and type (Transactional or Promotional), and enter the credentials. Once you click on Save, the new sender gets created.
The below screenshot shows SMS GupShup having 2 Senders - 1 for sending promotional messages and the other one for transactional messages - identifiable by (P) & (T), respectively.
If you are sending SMS to Indian mobile numbers
To delete a sender, go to the Sender tab and click on the "X" button as shown here: You will not be able to delete a sender if it is also set as a default sender.
A default sender is the one that will be picked up by default for sending all ss campaigns unless you choose a different sender at the campaign level.
- You can set a sender as default by simply using the toggle button.
- The default sender can be identified by the green circle containing D.
- There will be only one default sender across all the connectors, and each connector will have its own default sender.
Deleting a default sender
If you delete a sender and that sender is associated with a campaign, then the default sender will be used as a fallback, and the campaign will now be sent via the default sender.
Add Sender to customer connector
You can add multiple senders, delete senders, and set any one of them as default under Custom Connectors as well.
In addition to this, you will get 2 options when you try to Add a Sender in Custom Connector:
- Copy details from an existing sender: Choose this option if your new sender will have similar parameters as the existing one and only a few parameters will be changed. This will help minimize the additional work. This is applicable only within a connector, meaning that you will not be able to copy details from the sender of 1 custom connector to another sender of a different custom connector.
- Enter new details: If the new sender is very different from the existing sender, then you can choose this option and all the details afresh.
- Configure SMS General Settings
- Configure FC and DND Settings
- Configure Subscription Categories
- Configure Custom Domain
- Configure Data Privacy