Smart Triggers are a way to engage the user at the right moment by triggering push or in-app messages based on a set of event(s) executed by a user with particular user attributes. In our analysis we found, Smart Triggers drive up-to 4X higher conversions than the general push campaigns.
For ex. For an e-commerce app, if a user from the age-group of 18-25 years (user attribute) viewed a particular product category (user activity trigger), this user can be targeted with relevant promotional push/in-app content about that product category, triggered within a few minutes of activity.
The common use cases being:
- User On-boarding
- Driving first purchase
- Re-engaging Funnel drop offs ( Cart Drop-Offs, Subscription drop-offs, Payment Drop Offs etc.)
Smart Trigger Push Campaign
Navigate to Campaigns->Create Campaign->Push Campaign on the dashboard and click on Create button under Smart Trigger Campaign
Example: You want to set a Smart Trigger to target users, who have not Purchased in past 30 days, as soon as they abandon their cart and do not complete purchase with-in next 45 mins i.e. IF user have executed event Added to Cart AND has not executed event Purchase.
Trigger for the campaign can be set in the following steps:
Select Platform on which you want to send the communication. You can also control that you target only the platform from where Trigger event is sent.
Hitherto, Smart Trigger campaigns allow segmentation based on user attributes/device filters only. User events or custom segments based filters were not allowed for segmentation.
But that is changing. We have recently introduced (currently in closed beta) complete segmentation capabilities in Smart Triggers.
Note: Segments are refreshed at regular intervals. Hence a user may take up-to 45 to 60 mins to be correctly evaluated under segment condition.
Set Trigger condition basis which communication should be sent
Select user/derived event in the "if" condition and enter the event attributes. You can enter additional event attributes as well.
We have enhanced the Smart Trigger push sending to allow marketers to execute time sensitive messages. Marketers can send the message based on single trigger event with-in 60s now.
- Send out the Welcome Message to users as soon as they Install or sign-up on the App
- Appreciate/Congratulate them on activation (first conversion)
- Send them a message as soon as cart is abandoned
- Target them with Cross Sell opportunities as soon as purchase is done
This "Immediate sending" feature is currently in closed beta.
Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get your hands on this.
Campaign with IF Condition combined with secondary AND condition
e.g. Send out a message if the cart is abandoned and purchase has not happened with-in a specific period of time
IF user does Added to Cart
AND has not executed Purchase with-in 45 minutes from Added to Cart
THEN Trigger the message:
Send triggers on basis of Trigger Event property
With smart triggers, you can also trigger the message with respect to event attribute values of your IF event. Say you want to remind your users who have booked a flight, 2 hours before the flight time. You will then create your trigger on Flight Booked event using the event property Flight Time.
And set the message to be sent 2 hours before the flight time.
And the way you can use this feature is only limited by imagination:
- Send discounts/reminders to your subscribers before subscription expiry
- Send communication minutes before the flash sale to customers who have registered for it
- Send reminder before customer's travel date/time, Cross Sell Hotels/Experiences/Local Transport/Restaurant Bookings
- Remind customers to refill consumables before it ends
Step 2: Configure your Messaging
The messaging component can be create in a similar manner to that of general push campaign. Read more about general push campaign in this article.
The only exception is the ability to add Personalization to Smart Trigger Push Campaign based on user attributes. Read more about Personalization in this article.
Step 3: Scheduling & Goals
You can choose the specific date & time when your Smart Trigger Push Campaigns should start and until when the campaign should run. By default the start time will be current time + 1 hour.
Additionally, the frequency of sending can be limited by setting maximum no. of times to show the message and the minimum delay between two messages.
You can set conversion Goal event and its attribute similar to general push campaigns.
Smart Trigger Push Campaign is ready to be created now. Click on "Create" Button and confirm on the dialog box to create the campaign.
Note: Campaign will be sent only when
- the event property/attribute which is being used to create these type of triggers (like flight_time in above example), is in a valid date-time format. If it is not in date time format, the string should have data in one of the supported formats. If the selected attributes do not contain data in any of these formats, the campaign won't be sent to your users.
- the date/time value from attribute is greater than the time at which trigger condition is fulfilled
- the date/time value from attribute is less than 30 Days + the time at which trigger condition is fulfilled e.g. If your trigger condition is fulfilled at date D, your notification will be sent only when the attribute value is less than D+30
- Also note that Intelligent Delay Optimization does not work for campaigns sent on relative timing
- Date/Time Format sent via MoEngage SDK
- Date/Time values sent in String formats as under:
“EEE MMM dd HH:mm:ss Z yyyy”,
“EEE MMM dd HH:mm:ss yyyy zzz”,
“EEE, MMM dd HH:mm:ss yyyy zzz”,
“EEE, dd MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss zzz”,
“EEE,dd MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss zzz”,
“EEE, dd MMM yyyy HH:mm:sszzz”,
“EEE, dd MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss”,
“EEE, dd-MMM-yy HH:mm:ss zzz”,
“yyyy/MM/dd HH:mm:ss.SSS zzz”,
“yyyy/MM/dd HH:mm:ss zzz”,
“MMM dd yyyy HH:mm:ss. zzz”,
“MMM dd yyyy HH:mm:ss zzz”,
“dd.MM.yyyy HH:mm:ss zzz”,
“dd MM yyyy HH:mm:ss zzz”,
ZZZ - Represents the reported timezone
EEE - Represents Day of the Week e.g. Tue
MMM - Represents Month of the Year e.g. Jun
HH:MM:SS - Time that represents the hour of the day, minutes of the hours and seconds of the minute
DD:MM:yyyy and DD:MM:YY are the date formats as most commonly used
Note: We do not support MM/DD/YYYY formats. In case if time-zone is not mentioned in your event property, it will be considered as UTC and notification will be sent accordingly.
To sum up, Smart Trigger are a great way to engage right users (through segmentation) at right time (through smart triggering).