MoEngage uses SendGrid as the default email sender for all the customers. All the clickable links in the email are converted to the SendGrid domain for click tracking, but the clicks are ultimately redirected to your website. If your customers observe the links before clicking on them, they will see sendgrid.com/some-landing-page rather than yourdomain.com/some-landing-page. If you want the links to be displayed as yourdomain.com, you need to opt-in for Link branding.
Link branding can be set up by adding a couple of CNAME records in your DNS, but to ensure that the links are secure, you must also set up SSL for your domain. So, to finish link branding, you need to do the following steps.
- Setup and validate link branding by adding CNAME records.
- Set up SSL on the domain.
- Verify if SSL is set up properly.
- After you set up SSL, Kindly inform our team so that we can take the final steps to finish the link branding.
Let's explore these steps in detail.
Set up link branding with CNAMEs
You should have received documentation from our team to add some DNS records, including a couple of DNS records with the purpose of Link Branding. Once you add these records, your link branding is set up.
The next step is to add SSL for your domain.
Set up SSL for the domain
In this step, you need to set up SSL for lurl.example.com, like you would have done for your other domains. Additionally, you should forward all the requests coming to lurl.example.com to sendgrid.net
Typically, You can do this using a CDN, Proxy, or L7 Load Balancer.
- If you want to set this up using CDNs like CloudFlare, CloudFront, KeyCDN, or Fastly, please refer to the following documentation if you need any help.
- If you are using a Proxy, please refer to this link for additional help - https://docs.sendgrid.com/ui/account-and-settings/custom-ssl-configurations
- L7 Load Balancer setup should be straightforward.
While setting up SSL, you will edit the CNAME record for lurl.example.com and point to CDN, proxy, or load balancer.
Do not change the CNAME for 123456.example.com, it should still point to sendgrid.net. 123456 is an example, and it can vary for your implementation. Please refer to the documentation shared with you for link branding implementation.
Verify the SSL setup
Follow the below steps if your SSL is set up properly
- You can verify using Google Chrome. Just enter the link branding domain, lurl.example.com, in a Chrome tab.
- As shown below, you will see a “Connection is secure” message if the SSL has been added successfully.
- If SSL has not been added, you will see a “Your connection to this site is not secure” message, as shown below.
After successfully setting up SSL, contact the MoEngage team for the next steps.
Contact MoEngage team
After you set up the SSL, the MoEngage team will take the final steps to verify the entire setup and enable SSL click tracking on SendGrid. If you are using your own SendGrid, raise a support ticket with SendGrid.