The card campaign provides inbox notifications in the App Inbox or News Feed. Using this feed, your users can access the Card anytime and as many times as they want - over a period of time.
MoEngage provides a fully customizable App Inbox which is integrative. The delivery, display, and management of the Card in the Inbox are taken care of by MoEngage. For more information, refer to the Android, iOS, and Web integration.
If you are already using the MoEngage Inbox along with Push campaigns, please note that you will not be able to use that Inbox if you decide to use the Card campaign with the MoEngage provided Inbox.
You can create two kinds of Card campaigns:
1. General Card Campaign - Targeted to a particular user segment, it can be sent at a scheduled time - once or periodically. To create a General Card campaign, select Card qualification criteria as All users in segment (explained in detail below)
2. Event Trigger Card Campaign - Triggered on user actions ex. when a user with a particular attribute views a product, a targeted Card message will be triggered. To create a Triggered Card campaign, select Card qualification criteria as Based on a trigger event (explained in detail below)
In this article, we will describe how to create these two different types of campaigns in more detail.
Navigate to Campaigns->Create Campaign from the sidebar and select the Card Campaign. Click the Create button.
Step 1: Segmentation
Define the target users, platform, campaign name, and control group specifics in the section.
Name of the campaign
Type the name of the campaign to manage and identify the campaign. The campaign name must be 5 or more characters and the maximum limit is 256 characters.
Select campaign tags from the drop-down list. You can select a maximum of 5 tags. For more information, refer to Campaign Tags.
Select the platform that you want to target: Android, iOS, and Web.
Card Qualification Criteria
Based on how you want to target your users, select one of the two Card qualification options.
All users in segment (General Card):
Use this option if you want to create a General campaign, i.e. to target all users in a particular user segment.
Go to Select Audience and choose either All users or create a segment based on certain rules:
- All Users: This selection will send the Card to all the users of the app. The count of All users will be shown when this option is selected.
- Users that satisfy the filters: Use this option to create dynamic segments i.e. define the rules and criteria to create your user segment on the go.
Use User Properties
Allows you to target the users based on user property such as first seen, last seen, city, and so on.
Select the User Properties and do the following:
- Select desired user property and filter conditions.
- Provide the filter value(s) to create a rule.
For more information, refer to Create Segments.
Use User Behavior
Allows you to target the users based on the behavior of the user or event such as app/site opened, viewed product, and so on.
Select the User Behavior and do the following:
- Select the execution condition and the desired user activity (event)
- Provide event frequency and time duration for the event execution
- Add Event attribute with a filter condition
- Provide the filter value/s to create a rule.
For more information, refer to Create Segments.
Use User Affinity
Affinity Segments are groups of users created based on the user performing an action with a specific attribute value.
For more information, refer to User Affinity.
Select User Affinity and do the following:
- Select the desired user event or attribute.
- Select the user affinity parameter from
- Predominantly Select affinity attribute with a filter condition and provide the affinity values
- Minimum of Select affinity attribute with a filter condition and provide the affinity values
- Most no. of times Type or use the arrows to provide the top or bottom percentage of users
- Least no. of times Type or use the arrows to provide the top or bottom percentage of users
- Type or use the arrows to provide time duration for the event execution.
- Click the Attribute button to add more attributes to the filter.
Use Custom Segment
Select the Custom Segment section then select the desired custom segment to create a rule.
For more information, refer to Custom Segments.
Based on a trigger event (Triggered Card)
Choose this option if you want to target only those users who perform a certain set of events or actions. You can define these events under the If/Else conditions as explained below.
Select the user/derived event in the "IF" condition and enter the event attributes, if required. You can enter more than one event attribute as well. Next, you can enter multiple secondary conditions in the "AND" filter, and finally a time delay in which secondary conditions are checked after the "IF" trigger is hit. For eg.
IF the user performs Added to Cart
AND has not executed Purchase (you can enter multiple executed/has not executed events here)
THEN Trigger the campaign within 45 minutes after the "IF" action (Added to Cart here)
After you have set up the trigger conditions, define your segment under the Select Audience section as explained above
Step2: Create View
Before you enter your Card notification content, select Card Category and Template:
If you have configured multiple tabs during the SDK integration process for setting up the Inbox, then you will see this field and all those tabs will be listed in this dropdown here. We are supporting a maximum of five tabs or Card Categories as of now, including the "All" tab.
Select an option or tab in which the Card should be delivered.
If you have also set up an "All" tab that contains all Card in an aggregated format, then all your Cards will also be visible in this tab by default. You need not select this option in the Category dropdown.
You can choose from the two templates - Basic or Illustration, based on your use cases. If you want to send a simple message with more focus on text such as reminding your users about an offer starting next weekend with details such as "50% off on the summer apparel" along with your logo for quick brand recall, you can use the Basic template.
Whereas if you want your message to be richer - with more focus on an image or gif, such as an image that explains more details about the upcoming offer along with a brief text, you can use the Illustration template.
Configure this as per the message text that you want to communicate. You can also use emojis in all the message fields.
The various components of the message are:
i. Background Color
To make your message more appealing, you might want to add a background color to your notification. You can either choose a color from the color picker or add a hex code.
On the left-hand side, you will get a preview of the notification as you keep on adding content.
Please note that the actual notification might slightly vary from the Preview shown.
Represents the title or heading of the message that you want to send across. Only one line of Header text would be shown on the device depending on the device width, so please be careful with the character limit.
Represents the main message that you want to deliver to your audience. You can add up to three lines of text, which will be visible as per the device's width. More text will be visible on bigger devices whereas lesser text on smaller devices.
Note: You can apply some basic formatting to your Header and Title as well as change the text color. You can also use emojis in all the message fields. Use websites like Getemoji to copy and directly paste the emoji, anywhere in your header or message.
This enables an image to be shown on the Card. The image can be uploaded either via a) an URL or via b) uploading an image from the system. Supported formats are JPEG, PNG, and GIF. The maximum allowed size is 10 MB for both images and animated images.
- In the Basic template, you can upload an image as an icon or thumbnail.
- In the Illustration template, you can upload an image or gif in landscape mode (full-width image).
v. Card Action (Tap on the Card would)
It is the action that has to be performed when the user clicks anywhere on the Card except the CTA button. More details on CTA will be shared below.
Actions supported for Android and iOS
The supported actions are:
a) Navigate to a screen: Takes the user to a specified screen (selected from the drop-down or put screen name) on the click of the notification. Optionally, multiple Key-Value pairs can be added to take the user to specific parts of the page with relevant results. For iOS, you will have to enter the screen name manually
For example. you wish to offer discounts on Apple iPhone 11 Yellow, you need to specify the screen name as <product purchase screen> and send the key-value pairs (brand, Apple), (Model, iPhone 11), (Color, Yellow) so that you can display results relevant to the campaign
b) Deep-link: Takes the user to a deep-linked URL inside the app.
c) Rich landing: Takes the user to a mobile-optimized rich landing page (Web or Mobile Web)
Actions Supported for Web
The supported actions are:
This option takes the user to the URL when they tap on the card.
You can also add a CTA button that will take the user to a specific product page. To add a CTA, toggle ON the CTA option. Add the CTA text that will appear on the Card notification on the bottom right.
After adding CTA text, configure the CTA action which would take the user to the specific page or link once they click on the CTA link in the Card.
Supported actions for Android and iOS
CTA actions are the same as the Card Actions for Android and iOS explained above.
Supported actions for Web
CTA actions are the same as the Card Actions for Web explained above.
Note: You can use either one of the Card Action and CTA or both of them in a single campaign.
The test campaign enables you to check the campaign on a test device to make sure that your intended message is being conveyed in your desired way. You can test the campaign you have just created by selecting a custom attribute and its value for a test user.
The preview of how the cards will get rendered on the various platforms is available on the left side on the content creation page as shown below.
Basic Card Template
Illustration Card Template
Basic Card Illustration Card
Basic Card Illustration Card
Basic Card Illustration Card
Click on 'See in web browser' to preview the card in the browser as shown below.
In this step, you can schedule your Card campaign, configure how or when Cards should be displayed in the Inbox, and set up conversion goals.
Scheduling for General Cards
There are three types of scheduling available for General Card Campaigns:
1. On Create (ASAP): This starts the campaign as soon as it is created, which is on an ASAP basis.
2. At a specific date and time: Enter the date, time, and timezone. The campaign sends will start at this time.
3. Periodic: With this option, you can create multiple campaigns that will be sent at particular intervals of time. Eg. In the example shared below, the first campaign will run on 6th July 2020 at 12.35 PM IST and run every 7 days at the same time till 30th September 2020.
Scheduling for Triggered Card
You can choose the specific date & time when your Event Trigger Card campaign should start and until when the campaign should run.
Additionally, the frequency of sending can be limited by setting the minimum delay between two messages.
Here, you set the Card expiry and other controls. Since Card is a persistent message and it will be visible to the user only when they open the app Inbox, you might want the Card to stay in the Inbox for a longer period.
1. Card expiry
This is a mandatory field. There are 3 ways you can set the Card expiry:
1. At a date and time: All the Cards will expire on this specific date irrespective of when different users received the Cards. After Card is sent, if a user has not opened the Inbox even once till this expiry date, then that user will never see this Card.
2. Days after the user has seen the card: You can define the number of days for which the Card would remain active in the Inbox after the user has seen a particular Card i.e. after the impression happened. The maximum limit for this field is 180 days.
3. Days after the card has been delivered to Inbox: You can define the number of days for which the Card would remain active in the Inbox after the Card has been delivered to the App Inbox. The maximum limit for this field is 180 days.
For example: As per the scheduling criteria set above, the Card campaign runs between 6th July and 30th September. And, the card expiry is set as 60 days after the card is delivered to the user's Inbox. Now, consider the scenario:
- The card is delivered to User 1 on 6th July. So, for User 1 this card will remain active for 60 days from 6th July i.e. till 7th September, and expire on 8th September
- The card is delivered to User 2 on 15th August. So, for User 2 this card will remain active for 60 days from 15th August i.e. till 15th October, and expire on 16th October.
Note: The default value for Card expiry is 30 days after the card is delivered to the user's Inbox.
2. The time window to show the Card
This option gives you the flexibility to decide whether, during the time the Card is active, should the user be able to see the card 24X7 or only during certain hours on the active days. By default, it will be set to "Throughout the day"
For eg. If you want to run an online lucky draw every weekend at 5 PM for 1 hour and give out coupons to the winners then you might want to show the card notification for this lucky draw between 4.55 PM and 6 PM.
3. Maximum times to show the card
This allows you to limit the maximum number of times a Card will be visible to the user. Let's assume that when a user clicks on a particular card, it takes them to a product page with a 10% discount auto-applied. As a marketer, you want to limit each user to avail of this discount only 3 times. So, you can set up the value of maximum times to show the card as 3. The card will expire once the user has seen the Card 3 times.
Note: This is an optional field. If no value is set, the card will remain active until the expiry time.
4. Pin the card to the top
If you want a particular card to get maximum user attention, then you can use the pin card option. Just select the Pin card to the top like this
A pinned card will appear at the top of the Inbox with a pin icon as shown in the image below. Also, at any time only one Card be shown as pinned. So, if there are 2 Cards with the pin option enabled, then the latest card will be shown as pinned.
Conversion goals help you to track your business metrics about a campaign and help you measure how your campaign helped you achieve your business metrics. You can choose any of the app events as a conversion goal activity.
E.g. Let us say, you want to track how many customers made the Purchase event for Product iPhone after you sent the campaign. Your conversion goal set-up will look something like this. Here iPhonepurchase is the Goal Name; Product Purchased is the app event that you want to track; prod_name is the event attribute/property with value as iPhone
Multiple Conversion Goals
You can add up to five conversion goals using the button. With multiple conversion goals, you can now track more than one business metric or can visualize a funnel for your user actions.
For example, if you want to check the following, you can do so with multiple conversion goals.
- How many users have viewed the product page?
- How many of them added that product to the cart?
- How many of them made a successful order?
We also allow you to set an attribution window which is the duration for which you want to attribute the conversion goals to a specific campaign. This duration is calculated from the time at which the user received the campaign. By default, it is set for 36 hours but you can set it to any duration lesser than 36 hours.
Note: The conversion goals and its attribution window are optional fields. You can disable them anytime by switching off the toggle button next to conversion goals.
Your campaign is now ready to be created. Click to confirm in the confirmation dialog and your campaign will be launched.
Upon successful campaign creation, you will be taken to the campaign info page where you can view the campaign performance stats and a brief campaign summary.
Next, you can know about the edit options for your campaign
Note: When the card campaign is sent, it means the Card is ready to be delivered to the user. The card will be delivered only when the user opens their app Inbox.