What is Preference Management?
Preference Management allows you to automatically exclude specific users from the campaigns.
When should you use preference management?
- You do not want to send any campaigns (Event Triggered, Flows, General Campaigns) to the users who have opted out of the Push/SMS.
- You want to automatically block all push notifications / SMS for users when they have requested to block push notifications by invoking one of the rights under GDPR.
- You want to blacklist a segment of users from all types of communications (Push, SMS, Email, In-app, WhatsApp) during certain situations like natural calamities in specific regions.
The default behavior of the campaigns would be to exclude the users selected in the preferences. But, you still have the flexibility to override these preferences while creating a campaign.
How to set preferences?
- Navigate to Settings >> Preference Management
- Select the channel of your interest.
- Select a specific user attribute as the preference for the channel. For example, suppose you want to exclude “opted out users”; select your user attribute. Only user attributes of data types String, Boolean, and Numeric can be selected in the Attribute dropdown. Other data types, such as Date, are not supported.
- Click “Show Count” to check the user count for the selected users.
- Click "Save" to save your preferences. Note: Preferences, once saved, cannot be deleted from the Dashboard.
Confirm preferences. The preferences will be saved for all upcoming, scheduled, and periodic campaigns.
Under the GDPR compliance, by default, MoEngage does not send emails to Blocked, Unsubscribe, and complaints.
Override preferences while creating a campaign
You can include the opted-out users while creating a campaign by overriding the preferences as shown below. This is generally used for sending transactional messages.
On the campaign creation screen, select the option “Send campaign to the users excluded in preferences”.
- Go to Flows settings
- For Push, select “Send campaigns to the users excluded in SMS preferences"
- For SMS, select “Send campaigns to the users excluded in Push preferences”
- For WhatsApp, select "Send campaigns to the users excluded in WhatsApp preferences"
To enable this feature, reach out to us from your MoEngage Dashboard using the "Need Help? Contact Support" option or mail us at email@example.com.