For any successful marketing campaign, one of the key ingredients is relevance of the campaign goal to the recipient. Content APIs allow you to create campaigns personalized dynamically using the data fetched at send time from your Recommendation or coupon or other Personalization APIs.
Such targeted, relevant, and timely communication has been proven to have much better engagement and conversion rates as against generic email campaigns.
As shown in the example below, if a user makes a flight booking, Dynamic Content APIs can be used to send emails to them with offers on hotel accommodation for the destination, keeping in mind the accommodation preferences of the user within a few hours of booking the flight.
Such personalized, relevant emails can be used to drive conversion and unlock up sell and cross-sell opportunities in many scenarios.
Let’s look at another example where a user has left a hotel booking incomplete in her shopping cart while looking for resorts in Bali. In this case, the website where she tried to make the transaction triggers an email to her reminding her to complete the transaction, as well as making recommendations on similar hotels for her to choose from. Targeted, contextual, and personalized emails like this are an extremely useful tool for a marketer looking to grow their business.
Using Content APIs in MoEngage
Let’s take a look at how MoEngage allows you to have rich, personalized, timely conversations with your customers by creating automated campaigns to address the above mentioned use case of users viewing the details of a hotel but not making the booking. To do this, you need to follow a simple three-step process:
- Add an API to MoEngage
- Create a personalized email campaign using the API
- Run the campaign
Step 1 – Adding the API URL
To set up an API to be used during MoEngage campaigns,
- Navigate to MoEngage Dashboard > Settings > APIs.
- Click the Content API tab and click ADD.
The Add Content API window is displayed.
- Add the URL, parameters, and headers of the Content API.
- To personalize the parameters, type @ and use the user attributes for personalization.
For more information, refer to Derived Events & Attributes.
Step 2 - Using Content APIs to create Personalized Campaigns
Once the API URL is saved, users can start creating campaigns using any existing email templates with API calls embedded in the email. These campaigns can contain placeholders for different SKUs (in this case, hotels), along with the required formatting, segmentation, and triggering schedules.
At the time of sending the message, for the example above the system would:
- Invoke the Content API to fetch hotels recommended for the user based on the search parameters like destination, check in and checkout dates, no. of adults, and children etc
- Populate the email with details of the recommended hotels like the name, rating, price, image, and ranking in an HTML-formatted, personalized email.
- Do this for every user belonging to the specified segment dynamically without any manual input.
To get an in-depth understanding of how our personalization language works, check out our templating language documentation.