MoEngage tracks Android uninstalls by sending silent push notifications to devices. Before enabling uninstall tracking it's important to ensure that silent pushes are being handled by the app SDK. MoEngage provides a feature under Uninstall Settings to test whether silent pushes are being handled properly.
Uninstall tracking for iOS was deprecated from August 10th, 2023, following a significant adoption of iOS 15 and 16 versions which do not support tracking of failed delivery attempts using silent push. However, failed delivery attempts of regular push campaign messages will still show up as uninstalls for iOS devices.
How to test silent push notifications?
- Navigate to the MoEngage Dashboard -> Settings -> General Settings.
- For Android, you can find the "Test Here" link below "Android Uninstall Tracking".
- In the dialog box, select a user attribute and provide values corresponding to the selected attribute. You can enter multiple values by hitting enter.
- Click on "Test Silent Push". The results table will tell you whether the silent notification was delivered to the user identified by attributes. You can see detailed explanations of error messages here.
What should you expect?
- If the app is installed on the device and integration is correct, the success count should be non-zero, and you should not see blank notifications on the device.
- If the app is uninstalled on the device, you should get a NotRegistered Error for Android.
- If both these criteria are satisfied, your test is successful, and you can enable "Android Uninstall Tracking" to analyze uninstalls comprehensively under the Analytics tab.
- For any other errors, please check with your dev team for integration-related issues.
- In case you face any issues, reach out to us at email@example.com