Setting up SendGrid account
You can sign up for SendGrid at https://sendgrid.com/pricing and select your pricing plan. After account creation, you can optionally whitelabel your domain in your account by clicking on "Set Up + Configure" button, adding new domain and clicking on "Save". Then you can add the SendGrid specified TXT Records in your domain's DNS settings. This will remove "via sendgrid.net" seen by email recipients.
SendGrid has a mechanism to track Unsubscribes, Bounces & Complaints which is described in detail later in this article.
Configuring SendGrid SMTP Settings
You can find the SendGrid's SMTP connector configurations here
- SMTP Host name, Port and Protocol type can be filled from the details in link. To avoid rate limits set by some companies, port 587 is the suggested port.
- SMTP Username and Password are your SendGrid account credentials
- Maximum send rate depends on your pricing plan. You can get in touch with SendGrid to get these are per your plan.
- "SendGrid Tracking" will enable us to use unsubscribe information received from SendGrid on the Callback URL (mentioned below in Bounces section) to track unsubscribes. You need to mandatorily turn ON Subscription Tracking in your SendGrid Account -> Settings -> Tracking. Scroll down in Subscription tracking to add your unsubscribe page url in "Custom landing page url" to redirect the user to. Learn more about SendGrid Subscription tracking here.
- Selecting "None" for promotional email campaigns will lead to higher chances of being classified as spam.
Bounce & Complaints Tracking
This information is obtained by setting Event Notifications ON in your SendGrid Account -> Mail Settings
Now, copy the url from Moengage App Settings -> Email Settings -> Connector Configurations -> SendGrid -> Callback URL and paste it in HTTP POST URL text box shown above.
Now, select the actions checked in the below snapshot to enable tracking of unsubscribes, bounces and complaints.
You are all set up with connector configurations. You can now click on "Save" button which will test these settings (including credentials etc.) and save them. You can then select SendGrid as the default connector in General Settings.