Setting up Amazon SES account
You can create an Amazon Web Services account at http://aws.amazon.com/. After account creation, go to AWS Console -> SES and verify your domain by adding the specified TXT Records in your domain's DNS settings.
Your new Amazon SES account might be a sandbox account. In that case, you need to request for a production account from Amazon SES without which your SMTP settings will not be configured. More details are mentioned here. Your request can also cite a limit increase for Daily Sending Quota and Maximum Sending Rate. Amazon usually takes 4 hours to confirm access to production account.
Bounces & Complaints in SES are tracked through Amazon SNS which is described in detail later in this article.
Configuring SES SMTP Settings
You can find the SMTP connector configurations in your AWS Account -> SES -> SMTP Settings
- SMTP Host name, Port and Protocol type can be filled from the above details. Avoid using port 25 as it has a higher rate of emails getting throttled.
- SMTP Username and Password can be obtained by clicking on the button "Create My SMTP Credentials". Since, there is limited generation of SMTP credentials, you need to mandatorily save the credentials in your records. Read more about generating credentials here.
- Maximum send rate is mentioned in "Sending Statistics" tab
- "MoEngage Tracking" will add your unsubscribe page url as the email footer - "If you do not wish to receive future emails, unsubscribe here". You can learn more about unsubscribe tracking in this article.
- Selecting "None" for promotional email campaigns will lead to higher chances of being classified as spam.
Bounce & Complaints Tracking
This tracking is implemented through Amazon SNS notifications which is also described in detail as follows:
Once your domain is verified on SES, select the domain name and click on "Edit Configuration" button under Notifications. You can then create a new SNS topic, select this topic for Bounces and Complaints under SNS Topic Configuration and click on "Save Config".
Next step is to go to AWS Console -> SNS -> Topics and click on the recently created topic
Now, copy the url from Moengage App Settings -> Email Settings -> Connector Configurations -> Amazon SES -> Callback URL
Go back to SNS Topic Details, click on "Create Subscription" and paste the url in Endpoint as shown below in the snapshot
You are all set up with connector configurations. You can now click on "Save" button which will test these settings (including credentials etc.) and save them. You can then select Amazon SES as the default connector in General Settings.