Setting up Mandrill account
You can select your pricing plan and sign up for Mandrill at https://mandrill.com/signup/. After account creation, you need to set up your sending domain by adding your domain, verifying it and adding DKIM & SPF records to your DNS settings. More details on setting up domain here
Mandrill has a mechanism to track Unsubscribes, Bounces & Complaints which is described in detail later in this article.
Configuring Mandrill SMTP Settings
You can find SMTP Settings in your Mandrill account -> Settings -> SMTP & API Info
- SMTP Host name can be filled from the details in SMTP & API Info.
- SMTP Port and Protocol type can be obtained from here. To avoid the rate limits set by some hosting companies, port 587 is the recommended port.
- SMTP Username is your Mandrill account username
- SMTP Password is any API Key generated by clicking on New API Key button under SMTP & API Info
- Maximum send rate depends on your pricing plan and is mentioned on your Mandrill Dashboard
- "MoEngage Tracking" will add your unsubscribe page url as the email footer - "If you do not wish to receive future emails, unsubscribe here". You can learn more about our unsubscribe tracking in this article.
- "Mandrill Tracking" will enable us to use unsubscribe information received from Mandrill on the Callback URL (mentioned below under Bounces) to track unsubscribes. You need to mandatorily either add Unsubscribe Tag or enable "add Unsubscribe Footer" in your Mandrill Account -> Settings -> Sending Defaults. More details here
- Selecting "None" for promotional email campaigns will lead to higher chances of being classified as spam.
Bounce & Complaints Tracking
This information is obtained by "Adding a Webhook" in your Mandrill Account -> Settings -> Webhooks and selecting events as shown below to enable tracking of unsubscribes, bounces and complaints. Also, copy the url from Moengage App Settings -> Email Settings -> Connector Configurations -> Mandrill -> Callback URL and paste it in "POST to URL" text box shown below.
You are all set up with connector configurations. You can now click on "Save" button which will test these settings (including credentials etc.) and save them. You can then select Mandrill as the default connector in General Settings.