Before you can send emails, you need to select an Email Plan and configure Email Settings in your account. You can access these by clicking on left side-bar Settings -> Email Settings on Dashboard and following the below steps:
Step 1: Configure Email SMTP Connector
MoEngage provides a Default Email SMTP Connector (learn more about MoEngage Default SMTP Connector here) using which you can get started in no time as follows:
- Select an Email Plan: You can either select email blocks in Pay-as-you-go plan or select minimum monthly volume in Monthly Subscription plan. Click on "Save" to confirm your email plan. if you wish to request a Dedicated IP, you can send us a request and our team will confirm this in 48 hours.
- Add & Verify Sending Domain: This is the domain you will be sending emails from. Enter the sending domain and click on "Add Domain". Next, you will be asked to verify that you own this sending domain. You can do this by adding SPF and DKIM records in your DNS settings. Under SPF/DKIM, click on "Settings", copy each record and update this in your DNS settings. Once verified, "Not Ready" will change to "Ready to Send".
- Enable Unsubscribe Tracking: There are two ways you can add unsubscribe links in your email -
- Add an unsubscribe footer - Enter the text you wish to be added into the footer, enter the unsubscribe URL and enclose the text which will point to this link between "[" and "]". If you do not have any unsubscribe URL, you can point it to http://emailapi.moengage.com/v1/emailresubscribe
- Embed in Email Body - You will need to either copy-paste the HTML code in the email HTML body or just edit the unsubscribe link in your email and select "Unsubscribe Link".
In case you do not wish to enter unsubscribe link, you can select "None" option.
You can track the number of emails sent in Usage tab which shows both Daily and Monthly quota and overage emails, if any. You should not exceed your daily quota - this could lead to rejection of emails.
You can now proceed to Step 2 to configure General Settings.
In case, you wish to configure a Third Party SMTP connector, click on Email Settings -> Connector Config tab -> Third Party Connectors. You can read about each of the connector configuration below:
You can configure these as follows:
- Current Connector - This drop-down will show Default Connector if you have verified SPF and DKIM records for your Sending Domain. In case you configured a Third Party connector, that connector will show up here.
- User Attribute that stores user's email address - Select the user attribute in which you are tracking user's email address during integration of our SDKs. This will be used to find target email addresses in an email campaign.
- "From" email address(s) - Emails are sent only from a verified email address.
- Once you add an email and click on Save, a verification email is sent to verify that email address.
- Until the email is verified, it will not show up in "From email address" while creating email campaigns and no emails can be sent.
- After verifying the email, refresh the dashboard.
- You can add & verify multiple “From email addresses" here.
You are all done with setting up email campaigns and you can start sending emails now. In case you wish to control the number of emails you are sending, you can refer to Frequency Capping (FC) and Do Not Disturb (DND) settings below
FC & DND
Frequency Capping (FC) enables you to control the number of times you send emails to your users. This is useful to prevent sending emails to the same user again and again. You can select the No. of emails you wish to send in No. of Days. Read more here
Do Not Disturb (DND) enables you to restrict sending emails at specified odd hours to your users. This is useful to prevent triggering of Smart Trigger emails at a time where user might not interact with the email or consider the email as spam. You have an option to send these later after the DND time interval is over. Read more here.
Once all settings are configured, you can go ahead and start creating email campaigns.