Moengage can integrate with any SMTP connector for sending email campaigns. You would need to configure the connector, set up the unsubscribe mechansim and optionally track bounces & complaints if your SMTP connector can post these details in the required format (as described later in the article)
On Dashboard, click on top-right drop-down button, select App Settings and navigate to Email Settings tab. Before you can select the Default Connector in General Settings, you need to compulsorily setup configurations for that Custom SMTP connector
- SMTP Host Name: IP Address or server name of the SMTP connector service you are using
- SMTP Port: This is the SMTP port number of the connector service to which the connection would be established
- SMTP Protocol: You can select the protocol prefix (SSL/TLS) that your connector supports.
- SMTP Authentication: Select "ON" here if your SMTP connector requires authentication to establish the connection. Then, enter the SMTP credentials in username and password.
- Maximum send rate: This is the maximum number of emails per second that can be accepted by your SMTP connector.
- Unsubscribe Tracking:
- "MoEngage Tracking" will add your unsubscribe page url as the email footer - "If you do not wish to receive future emails, unsubscribe here". You can learn more about our unsubscribe tracking in this article
- Selecting "None" for promotional email campaigns will lead to higher chances of being classified as spam
- Bounce & Complaints Tracking: Moengage can receive this information in a POST call in the below format to url mentioned in your Moengage Account -> App Settings -> Email Settings -> Connector Configurations -> Custom -> Callback URL
POST Format - list of JSON. In "event" you can pass "hard_bounce", "soft_bounce" or "spam" for each case.
You are all set up with connector configurations. You can now click on "Save" button which will test these settings (including credentials etc.) and save them. You can then select Custom SMTP as the default connector in General Settings.